For this project, I was approached by the owners of The Yogurt Factory, in Brigham City, to help them create a new brand identity. For the initial phase, just a logo would be created, and based upon work, further phases would then be implemented.
The parameters of the project were to use the new name (Burger N Scoops), use the existing color palette, and to create it as a word mark.
Research and Initial Sketches
I first began by gathering up research on other fast food, burger, and ice cream places, and took notes on the various design differences and similarities. I then proceeded to begin my sketching. My initial sketches played more with the different font family choices, and was then presented to the client to determine which direction would be most desired prior to the digital exploration.
From the sketches, numbers 2, 5, and 6 were closer to what the owners were wanting. One of the owners really liked number 1, but both owners felt that all of the designs need to make sure that “burgers” need to be given the same importance as “scoops”.
Taking that feedback into account, I then began to create some quick, rough digital variations. Some new ideas were explored as well as the application of the given color palette.
At this same time, I approached another graphic designer friend and asked for his feedback on the initial digital explorations prior to showing them to the client. The feedback was to try a couple different fonts for the word mark, as well as making “scoops” closer together.
Additional Sketching And Digital Exploration
Upon that feedback, I created some additional hand-drawn sketches, as well as explored new ways that I could make the word mark. I decided to try making some inverted icons inside of the “o’s”. I experimented with slab serif fonts, and I even practiced different styles of abstraction of an ice cream scoop and burger.
I then proceeded to create new digital variations to reflect the new work that was done.
I then presented all of the digital variations to the client to get feedback for the creation of the final identity. The client really liked the A-5 of the initial digital variations, as well as the look from number 13 in the additional digital variations. They asked if the final version could implement both of these, and so I obliged.
The Final Logo Designs
I went back to the software and began to make the changes and finalized the parent logo, then proceeded to make the accompanying necessary logo variations as part of the deliverable package, with instructions on when each version of their logo should be be used.